There is a minimum requirement of $5,000 in eligible (necessary) improvements on the subject property. Improvements to a detached garage, a new detached garage, or the addition of an attached unit (if allowed by local zoning ordinances) can also be included in this first $5,000. * The look a likes have no minimum amount of rehab. ** Read this carefully - this minimum has been removed... there is no minimum amount of rehab now...2008
The mortgage must include one or more of the items listed below:
- Structural repairs and alterations.
- Items such as additions to the structure; repairing any and all structural damage.
- Improvement in the functionality or modernization.
- Such items as remodeled kitchens and bathrooms.
- Changes for aesthetic appeal, and the elimination of obsolescence.
- New exterior siding and new doors.
- Repair of replacement of plumbing, heating, air conditioning or electrical system. Installation of new plumbing fixtures are acceptable, including interior whirlpool bathtubs.
- Installation of Well and/or Septic System.
- Must be installed or repaired prior to beginning any other repairs to the property. Properties less than one acre in size can be limited on this item.
- Replacement of flooring, carpeting or tiling.
- Energy conservation improvement.
- New dual pane windows and doors, storm windows, insulation, and solar domestic hot water systems.
- Major landscape work and site improvement.
- Patios and terraces that improve the value of the property equal to the cost, or that are needed to preserve the property from erosion.
- Improvements for easier accessibility to the handicapped.
- Handicapped retrofitting can be included in the cost of rehab. This is particularly good to get this information into the hands of vocational rehab companies and companies that deal with disabilities. They may have a list of clients for you.
The following items can be included in addition to the minimum $5,000 requirements:
- New cooking ranges, refrigerators and other stand alone appliances.
- Painting and other cosmetic repairs.
- Fencing, new walks and driveways, and general landscape work trees, shrubs or seeding).
- Repair of an existing swimming pool, up to $1,500. Any costs exceeding $1,500 must be paid into the Contingency Reserve by the borrower.
Items that will not become a permanent part of the property are not eligible. Luxury items are not eligible. These items include, but are not limited to New swimming pools, exterior hot tubs, saunas, spas, tennis courts, and barbecue pits.